Due to the high popularity of the WordPress Content Management System for websites and the vast amount of information available online regarding WordPress, we have created a special resource page dedicated to helping people find the best information possible. We’ve scoured the internet to find the most helpful WordPress tutorials, the best themes, and lists of recommended plugins, as well as general advice about building and using a WordPress website. So, without further ado, here’s what we’ve found.
Resources from our WordPress Workshop
WordPress website video tutorials about the topics covered in the workshop
Microsoft Powerpoint presentation from the wordpress workshop
WordPress Workshop notes (Microsoft Word document)
Website Content Template: Use this template to help you write some content for the basic pages of your website.
We recommend using GoDaddy to host your WordPress website. They have hosting plans starting at under $10 a month, and their 24/7 customer support can’t be beat.
Once you’ve got WordPress installed, you’re going to want to learn how to use it. Here’s some excellent tutorials that will teach you everything you need to know.
- WordPress 101 video tutorials from iThemes: This series of 24 short videos will teach you all the basics of WordPress
- WordPress Training course for beginners: Similar information to the iThemes tutorials, but a little more in-depth and with text to go along with the videos
- 40 WordPress Tutorials: These cover some more advanced territory, such as customizing themes and designing your website
- How to add a YouTube video to a WordPress page or post (if it’s a self-hosted WordPress installation, you will have to enable Jetpack)
- The official WordPress.com support page
After learning how to use WordPress, you’re ready to get a theme for your website and customize it. Here’s some great places to find WordPress themes:
Ok, now you’ve got your theme looking just the way you like it. Time to add some plugins to make your site even more useful. There’s thousands of possible plugins you can add, some of them good and some not so good. Here’s a list to get you started.
- List of 19 essential WordPress plugins: You don’t need all 19 of these because some do the same thing, but select at least one from each category.
- Related Posts Plugin: This helps keep people on your site longer by showing them a list of posts related to the one they’re currently looking at.
- Sociable Plugin: This plugin helps make your content more shareable.
- Google Analytics: This is one of several plugins that will add the Google Analytics code to every page of your web site, allowing you to track visitors.
- Gravity Forms: This isn’t a single plugin, but a paid subscription service that has many plugins that can add features to it. It basically makes creating contact forms for your WordPress site very easy.
- WordPress Plugin Directory: Here’s the motherload–the list of all the 23,000-plus plugins available for WordPress. Chances are, if there’s something you want your website to do, there’s a plugin on this list that will do it. Just type a something into the search box and see what comes up.
Other Helpful Resources
Here’s a few links to other helpful resources, some related to WordPress and some related to on-line marketing in general.
- Marketing Tool Box: Ok, we’re a little biased towards this one since we created it. It’s basically a general list of all the tools that we use in our business to make on-line marketing, web design, and marketing in general a little easier.
- On-line marketing e-Books: Download all our content-packed marketing e-books, including several related to on-line marketing.
- Blogging e-book: This book isn’t free, but it’s a great tool to help you improve your blog.
- WPBeginner: This site has lots of good articles for WordPress beginners.
Total Online Presence
If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed after looking through the vast amount of information we’ve given you on this page, you’re not alone. Learning on-line marketing from ground zero CAN be overwhelming, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive training program for people who want to learn but just don’t know how to go about it.
The Total Online Presence course is designed to take someone with little or no on-line marketing know-how, and teach them everything they need to know to effectively market their business using the internet. It can be completed as a self-study course, in a group setting, or as a one-on-one coaching program. Visit the course description page to learn more, and to start a free trial of the program.
Ready to start the program? Give us a call at 540-815-0060 to enroll in an upcoming class.